We are seeking a highly motivated, organized and ambitious Research and Development Technician to join the MATI Energy Manufacturing & Operations team in Clayton, NC. This role is responsible for conducting development, validation of formulas, raw materials and packaging in accordance with MATI Energy goals. This individual will support the departmental goals and contribute to general operations and analytical testing.
The primary goal of the Research and Development Technician is the development of new and improved products and packages. The individual will be responsible for providing technical support and project work in laboratory, pilot plant and plant environments. This role will support, implement, and maintain food safety practices, as well as be responsible for completing job duties in a manner that supports all plant safety, food safety, quality, and environmental practices.
- Create product development protocols, including formula development, testing and specification setting. Understands formulas, documentation and work processes.
- Research and identify food trends relevant to our target consumers and lead team in applying knowledge to new products and innovations in conjunction with the Senior Brand Manager and VP of Manufacturing & Operations.
- Conduct development, scale-up and production of new and improved products, packages and test lot materials. Operate laboratory equipment in a consistent and accurate manner according to approved methods. Understand and comply with all food safety and food manufacturing policies and procedures.
- Conduct experimental designs under direct supervision. Compile, analyze and summarize data into report form. Test summaries require an evaluation of results, generation of reports, graphs and statistical analysis including making recommendations. Obtain and handle samples from production plant/equipment locations for analysis in a safe and sanitary manner consistent with the information required and compliant with GMP's.
- Conduct plant tests, packaging projects, and production, including but not limited to: preparation of samples, test formulas, packages, or mixes, and participation in plant-based trials or experiments.
- Obtain samples and technical information about products including but not limited to: direct measurements of product or package attributes, processing or packaging measurements, production data, and quality measures.
- Find and develop new raw material/packaging suppliers. Analyze samples and review nutritional, physical-chemical, and microbiological specifications.
- Conduct routine and non-routine laboratory evaluations of products (chemical, physical and sensory testing).
- Serve as a technical resource to other technical functions and to corporate departments, including but not limited to: Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Engineering, and Sales and Marketing.
- Maintain complete records of procedures followed, as well as observations and results obtained from product or package measures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Statistics, Food Science, or related field. Four-year degree in a technical field (e.g., Chemistry, Food Science, Physics, or Biology) preferred.
- 1+ years of relevant experience in food and/or beverage manufacturing desired.
- Understanding and experience in manufacturing processes, GMP's, general food processing, statistics and laboratory techniques. Product development or quality assurance experience preferred.
- Possess excellent problem solving skills.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and graphing software, as well as demonstrated math/statistical computation skills.
- Must be able to communicate both written and verbally. Experience working on cross-functional teams; ability to build strong working relationships.
- Detail oriented and extremely organized.
- Pragmatic optimist and a team player.
- Excited to live the MATI culture of “Do more. Be better.”
- Meets physical requirements outlined below.
- Must be able to stand for sustained periods of time, up to 8 hours.
- Must be able to frequently move/transport product weighing up to 50 pounds across facility.
- Must be able to regularly ascend/descend ladders, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Must have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned and or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
MATI Energy participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.